Passport General Information

  • PDF


Under Republic Act No. 8239 (The Philippine Passport Act of 1996) a Philippine passport is a document issued by the Philippine government to its citizens requesting other governments to allow its citizens to pass freely, and in case of need, to give them lawful aid and protection.

You may fill out and print your Passport Application form here.


The passport remains at all times the property of the Philippine government, the holder being a mere possessor thereof. The fraudulent acquisition, loss or destruction of the Passport is a crime punishable under the law, with penalties stipulated under RA 8239. The Consular Officer is authorized to determine if the applicant can apply for a passport, and what documentary evidence must be presented.


Only the Secretary of Foreign Affairs or any of his authorized consular officers may issue a Philippine passport.


  • Only citizens of the Republic of the Philippines are entitled to a Philippine passport
  • Former Filipino nationals who are naturalized citizens of foreign countries are no longer entitled to use or renew their Philippine passports, having lost their Philippine citizenship (Commonwealth Act No. 63 of 1936)
  • Those who have acquired foreign citizenship by naturalization but have reacquired Philippine citizenship upon taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic in accordance with R.A. 9225 the “Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003" may apply for Philippine passports, if they satisfy the requirements of R.A. 8239 “The Philippine Passport Law”
  • In the interest of national security, public safety and public health, a consular officer may refuse to issue a passport, restrict its use, withdraw or cancel a passport.

In view of the need to determine an applicant’s current citizenship, a consular officer may require an applicant to present a valid document of foreign residency i.e., a US Permanent Resident Card, US Visa, INS notice, etc.


No matter what your status is here in the US, you can apply for a Philippine Passport, provided that you can show us that:

  1. You are who you say you are – Proof of Identity
  2. You are still a Filipino citizen – Proof of Citizenship

What the Consulate verifies is the truth of the Oath signed by all passport applicants:
“I solemnly swear under penalty of law that I am a Filipino; I am the person in the attached photograph; the thumbprints on this form are mine, I have never made false representations in any of my passport applications; the statements made on this Application Form are true and correct; and the attached supporting documents are authentic.”


Applicants able to comply with requirements will receive the new Philippine ePassport. The ePassport is a project of the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs, in compliance with the requirements of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), a specialized agency of the United Nations created to promote the safe and orderly development of international civil aviation throughout the world. The 188 contracting states of the ICAO, which includes the Philippines, agreed to issue ICAO Standard ePassports by 2012. The DFA started issuing ePassports in 2009, three years ahead of the deadline.

An ePassport is a passport which features microchip technology, using an integrated circuit containing data essential in verifying the identity of the passport holder. These include the personal information found on the data-page of the passport, the biometrics (fingerprints) of the passport holder, the unique chip identification number, and a digital signature to verify the authenticity of the data stored on the chip.

Once a chip is rendered, it can no longer be changed, so the reliability of the information is intact. The information on the chip can also be cross-checked and verified against the data-page of the passport, which contains an integrated photograph of the passport holder, a digitized secondary photo, and an electronic print of the holder’s signature, covered by an ultrathin holographic laminate, among other security features.
The chip, embedded in the booklet itself, is more resilient than the machine-readable zone on which the MRP is relies. Information can be read through a “contactless” scanner, reducing the likelihood of tearing during the scanning process. Hence, the security and durability provided by the ePassport is superior to the machine readable passport (MRP). Since the job of the border officials is to verify citizenship, identity and desirability of the travelling foreigner, having a passport with this kind of integrity, which validates identity and citizenship, leaves only one question for border officials to answer. Whether a traveling foreign national is considered a desirable or undesirable alien depends on the conduct, background and history of the individual traveler.


All passports are printed by the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila.

Processing at the Consulate of the passport application is on a “first-come first served” basis. It usually takes between 1 to 3 hours during heavy traffic days, from start (filing of application) to finish (biometrics.) A Certificate of Enrollment stating the date your new passport will be available for release will be given to each applicant.

In view of transit time to and from Manila, regular passport applications received abroad will be available for release eight (8) to ten (10) weeks from the date of application. Applicants are advised to plan trips or interviews where they will need valid passports only AFTER RECEIVING THE NEW EPASSPORT.


Yes, PERSONAL APPEARANCE IS REQUIRED FOR ALL, since the biometrics of the applicant is captured during the application process.


Unlike the Machine Readable Passport which had exceptions for personal appearance for senior citizens above 65 and children below 8 years old, there are NO EXCEPTIONS FOR THE PERSONAL APPEARANCE with the ePassport.


Regular Renewal / First Time Passport applicants - NO PASSPORT PHOTO REQUIRED - your photo will be taken digitally by our processors during the passport application enrollment step.


  • Straight frontal shot (no tilting of head)
  • “Medium” smile (no teeth showing)
  • Collared shirt/decent attire
  • Both ears visible/both eyebrows visible (no bangs)
  • Head scarf/veil for religious or health reasons allowed

Image can be rejected for the following reasons:

  • Distorted image – head is tilted or smile is too wide
  • Women - excessive makeup, large earrings
  • Men – wearing makeup, earrings
  • colored contact lenses that disguise the natural color of the applicant's eyes
  • use of headgear other than scarf/veil for religious or health reasons
  • use of eyeglasses/shades
  • poor photo quality/poor or uneven lighting

Replacement of Lost Passport / Irregular cases - One (1) colored passport-size (4.5cm X 3.5cm) photo with plain white background required. You may have your passport photo taken at any studio, as these will only be used for filing purposes


(Procedures for First-Time, Renewal, Replacement of Lost Passport, etc. follow below)

  1. Proof of identity– bring at least one (1) photo identification issued by a Philippine government office/institution bearing the full name, date of birth and citizenship such as:
    1. Latest Passport Issued (for straight passport renewal, this is the basic requirement) - original plus photocopies of the data page, last page with signature of the consul, pages with any amendments and stamps of last entry into the US
    2. Philippine Drivers License issued by the LTO
    3. License issued by the Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC)
    4. NBI Clearance, GSIS Card, SSS Card
    5. Secondary ID’s - Office ID, School ID, Transcript of record, etc.
  2. Proof of Current Philippine citizenship - Since only Filipino citizens are eligible for a Passport, we need to know that you are still a Filipino and that you have not yet become naturalized as an American citizen. What can you show us to prove your Philippine citizenship (bring original and a photocopy)?
    1. ARC (Permanent Resident Card)
    2. US Temporary Visa (tourist – B1/B2, students – F, J)
    3. Working Visa (H1B and Dependents)
    4. Fiancé/Fiancée Visa
    5. Seaman’s Book, etc.
    6. Notice of a Pending Application from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (US CIS) (conversion from Tourist to Working Visa; Working Visa to Immigrant Status; Replacement of Lost Green Card)

Regular Renewal/First Time Passport applicants - NO PASSPORT PHOTO REQUIRED - your photo will be taken digitally by our processors during the passport application enrollment step.

Replacement of Lost Passport/Irregular cases - One (1) colored passport-size (4.5cm X 3.5cm) photo with plain white background required. You may have your passport photo taken at any studio, as these will only be used for filing purposes.

First Time Applicants (born in the northeast USA)

  1. Personal appearance for all, without exemptions.
  2. Duly accomplished application form signed by the applicant, with right and left thumbprints affixed. Applicants below three (3) years old need not affix thumbprints. Click here for the application form.
  3. For Minor applicants below 18 years old, notarized “Affidavit of Consent to Travel” issued by both parents, or legal guardian upon presentation of proof of guardianship
  4. Passport Photo NOT required - applicants photo will be taken digitally during the Passport Application enrollment step
  5. Report of Birth (click here for Report of Birth Requirements)
  6. Passport Processing Fee: US$60.00 (cash transactions only)
  7. Processing Time: six (6) weeks


  1. Personal appearance for all, without exemptions.
  2. Current passport (most recent) and one (1) photocopy of data page(s) of old passport, specifically the page with the photo of the applicant, the page with the latest stamps of entry into the US, last page with signature of officer.
  3. Proof of current Philippine Citizenship - photocopy of the page with the US Visa/I94 our a photocopy of the Alien Certificate of Registration (green card).  For green card holders, the original must be presented to the processor.  For Dual Citizens under RA 9225, the Identification Certificate (IC) is required.  It is suggested that the applicant bring ALL relevant documents that can help prove citizenship:  ACR (green card), Identification Certificate, old Philippine Passports containing US Visa and entry stamps affixed, INS Notice, Employment Authorization, Seaman's book, etc.  See #8 for other option.
  4. Duly accomplished application form signed by the applicant with thumbprints affixed. Applicants below three (3) years old need not affix thumbprints. Click here to fill out and print the passport application form.
  5. For Minor below 18 years old, notarized "Affidavit of Consent toTravel" issued by both parents, or legal guardian upon presentation of proof of guardianship
  6. Passport Photo NOT required - applicants photo will be taken digitally during the Passport Application enrollment step.
  7. For those renewing Passports issued prior to May 1995 (showing only Middle Initial), proof of Middle Name must be presented. Bring the NSO-Birth Certificate spelling-out the full Maiden Name of the applicant's mother; for married women, present the NSO-Marriage Certificate showing the full Maiden Name of the applicant. One (1) original and one (1) photocopy of these supporting documents must be submitted.
  8. If the green card is lost, expired, or if the Philippine passport being renewed has long expired (during which the applicant may have been naturalized as a foreign citizen) a SWORN STATEMENT attesting to Philippine Citizenship is requested.  The following text is recommended:   Click here for the sworn statement form.


    I, ____________________(APPLICANT'S NAME) _____________, Filipino of legal age, after having been duly sworn in accordance with law, hereby voluntarily depose and say:

    I solemnly declare under oath that I am a Filipino citizen at the time of this passport application and therefore I am eligible for a Philippine Passport.  Under penalty of perjury, I declare that the above statement is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.  I am executing this affidavit fully aware that I will be subject to corresponding criminal, civil and administrative liabilities, including being blacklisted as an inadmissible foreign national, for any fraud or misrepresentation on my Filipino citizenship.


    SIGNED on _________________________________________ in New York City.




    SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN TO before me this day of ________________ in the City of New York.

  9. Passport Processing Fee: US$60.00 (cash transactions only)
  10. Processing Time: six (6) weeks

Passport applicants with manually-scripted passports, machine-readable ready passports (MRRP) and machine-readable passports (MRP)
Effective 01 July 2016, pursuant to Department of Foreign Affairs guidelines, all applicants for passport renewal holding manually-scripted passports, machine-readable ready passports (MRRP) and machine-readable passports (MRP), which were issued before March 2010, are required to submit the following:

  1. Actual old passport;
  2. Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)-issued birth certificate, original and photocopy (Copies may be ordered online via; and
  3. Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship (i.e. valid green card, valid visa, dual citizenship certificate, etc).



  1. Personal appearance and interview by the Passport Officer to determine eligibility for a new passport.
  2. One (1) photocopy of data pages of old Passport, if available
  3. Duly accomplished application form signed by applicant, or in case of minor below 8 years old, signed by one parent or the legal guardian upon presentation of proof of guardianship, and bearing applicant’s left and right thumb marks. Click here to fill out and print the passport application form.
  4. For minor below 18 years old, notarized Affidavit of Consent to Travel issued by both parents (see box below)
  5. Duly notarized “Affidavit of Loss” (lost passport) or “Sworn Affidavit” (assumed-name) giving specific details of circumstances surrounding the loss of the passport.
  6. Police Report, in case passport was lost as a result of robbery, theft or other similar circumstances
  7. Passport Photo REQUIRED - One (1) colored passport-size (4.5cm X 3.5cm) photo with plain white background
  8. One (1) original or certified true copy and one (1) photocopy of Birth Certificate authenticated by the National Statistic Office (NSO). Supporting original document is returned. (click here for the NSO website -
  9. In the absence of a Birth Certificate, one (1) original or certified true copy and one (1) photocopy each of other documents that may be required by the Consular Officer pursuant to R.A. 8239 & D.O. 11-97 such as NSO Certification of No Birth record, Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar, Baptismal Certificate, Seaman’s Book, School Records, LTO Driver’s license, PRC license, etc.
  10. For Married Women: Marriage Certificate issued by the NSO or Report of Marriage, original and one (1) photocopy
  11. Processing Fees:
    • Irregular Passport Fee: US$ 150.00
    • Communication Fee: US$ 10.00
    • Affidavit (if notarized by Consulate): US$ 25.00

Processing Time: A fifteen (15) working day clearance period is applied before the passport application can be accepted for processing. Should no negative report be received from our Main office in that period, the application will be allowed to proceed. This is in addition to the six (6) weeks proceeding time for the passport, for a total approximate time of nine (9) weeks.


In addition to the requirements above, the following documents must also be presented:

  1. For a Married Woman using Husband’s surname for the first time
    1. Married in the U.S.: Report of Marriage (click here for Report of Marriage Requirements)
    2. Married in the Philippines: one (1) original or certified true copy and one (1) photocopy of Marriage Contract duly authenticated by the Philippine National Statistic Office (NSO)
    3. Photocopy of Passport of Spouse – data page only
  2. For Woman requesting to revert to her Maiden name - The recording of names in Official Documents issued by the Philippine Government is in accordance with Title XIII of the Civil Code of the Philippines, Republic Act No. 386.  Article 370 of the law states that "a married woman may use : 

    (a) Her maiden name first name and surname and add her husband's surname, or 

    (b) Her maiden first name and her husband's surname or 

    (c) Her husband's full name, but prefixing a word indicating that she is his wife, such as "Mrs."

    Once a woman decides to use her married name in her Philippine Passport she may only revert to her maiden name under the following circumstances, and by presenting the required documents:

    (a) The Death of her Spouse - one (1) original and one (1) photocopy of the death certificate issued by concerned government agency on security paper; 

    (b) After securing an Annulment through (or recognized by) the Philippine Court - annotated Marriage Certificate issued by the NSO (MC-NSO) declaring the marriage null and void, plus one (1) photocopy; 

    (c) After securing a Legal Separation through (or recognized by) the Philippine Court - Certified copy of the Decision of the Philippine RTC stating that the applicant may revert to her maiden name, plus one (1) photocopy; or 

    (d) If divorced by a non-Filipino spouse - Certified copy of the Decision of the Philippine RTC recognizing the Foreign Court Decree/Decision of Final Divorce, plus one (1) photocopy.

    To have a Decree of Final Divorce/Annulment issued by a foreign court recognized by the Philippine RTC, the applicant may wish to be guided by the following:  

    Step 1:  Secure the services of a lawyer in the Philippines.  The Integrated Bar of the Philippines may be contacted for assistance through

    Step 2:  Counsel should file on the applicant's behalf a Special Proceeding for recognition of a Foreign Court Decree/decision before a Regional Trial Court.

    Step 3:  Upon the presentation of the Certified Copy of the Decision of the Philippine RTC recognizing the foreign decree, the applicant may proceed with filing her application to rever to her maiden name at the Philippine Consulate General.

  3.  For a Woman whose previous marriage to a Filipino spouse has been annulled, has had a subsequent marriage and wishes to use her current married name  -  if the subsisting marriage is considered valid under Philippine law, the applicant may use her new married name in the Passport, upon the completion of requirements for Report of Marriage. 

  1. For a Woman who is unable to register a divorce/annulment in compliance with Philippine law - the applicant must continue to use the surname of her previous spouse in the passport.  However, a Certification may be issued explaining the difference in names

One may apply for the Certification by Mail. Simply enclose the following documents in an envelope addressed to our office, Passport Section, Philippine Consulate General New York, 556 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10036:

    • Current valid passport
    • Affidavit: Subsequent Marriage - signed before a Notary Public
    • Divorce decree from Filipino spouse (original and photocopy)
    • Marriage Certificate with American spouse (original and photocopy)
    • Money Order for $25.00 addressed to the Philippine Consulate General New York
    • Pre-paid self-addressed stamped envelope (USPS express or priority mail is recommended)
    • The Certification is in reduced-format for convenience, may be affixed by the bearer to the valid passport, and expires at the same time as the passport
    • All original documents will be returned to the applicant


Personal Details of the bearer recorded on the Philippine Passport are based on information contained in the NSO-issued Birth Certificate (BC) of the applicant and the NSO-issued Marriage Certificate (MC) for married women. Details such as name, date of birth, place of birth, gender, and other details cannot be changed, except under the provisions of Republic Act 9048.

  1. Clerical error – if the error is simply a discrepancy between data on the old passport and the current one, and proof can be shown by presenting the NSO-BC, NSO-MC or the most recently issued passport, the current passport can be amended accordingly. Appropriate fees will be charged for amending errors that are reported to the Consulate more than 1 month after receipt of the passport (click here for Passport Amendment due to Discrepancy in Data Form)
  2. Changed by Philippine court - Details on the Birth / Marriage record may be amended, in accordance with a directive from a Philippine court. The applicant must present an original Annotated NSO-BC or NSO-MC to amend a passport to reflect the new data (click here for Passport Amendment due to Discrepancy in Data Form)
  3. Name is Different from ARC (green card)- The Philippines and the US follow different conventions when it comes to the recording of names.
    • Apart from the unlimited number of “First Names” the child can have, Philippine law honors both mother and father in naming a child by using the mother’s Maiden Surname as the “Middle Name” of the child, and the Surname of the father as the “Last Name” of the child
    • Philippine law also honors the union of two families when a woman gets married. While she has the option of keeping her Maiden Name as her Surname, she may also use her Husband’s Surname (in which case her unmarried “Last Name” becomes her new “Middle Name”) or keeping her mother’s Maiden Surname as her “Middle Name” and hyphenating her maiden Surname with her husband’s Surname as her new “Last Name”
    • Since the Passport is a Philippine Government document, a foreign document cannot be used as the basis for amending information. Those concerned about this may apply for a Certification explaining the above conventions on the recording of names (click here to download form for Certification – Philippine use of Names) To apply for a Certification on the Philippine Use of Names, submit the following:
      • Letter of request signed by the passport bearer
      • Original and photocopy of the data page of the Philippine passport and pages with amendments
      • Original and photocopy of the green card
      • Fee: $25.00 (money order if sent by mail)
      • Pre-paid self-addressed stamped envelope must be included if request is submitted by mail
      • Simply enclose the above documents in an envelope addressed to our office, Passport Section, Philippine Consulate General New York, 556 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10036


The Consular Officer reserves the right to require additional proof or documents from an applicant, to prove his/her citizenship identity or status pursuant to the Philippine Passport Law (R.A. 8239) and the Foreign Service Act (R.A. 7157.).

  • For those with irregular applications such (lost, assumed-name entry, etc.) it is recommended the applicant bring as many documents to prove identity and Filipino citizenship as available. Philippine government documents (Birth Certificate, Philippine Driver’s license, SSS ID, GSIS ID, voters ID, school records, etc.) are the preferred basis for establishing identity.
  • For those renewing passports that expired several years ago (sufficient time for the applicant to have naturalized as a foreign citizen) or are presenting green cards that have expired, a Sworn Affidavit attesting that the applicant is still a Filipino may be required.

Note: All Supporting original documents are returned; only photocopies are maintained on file


It is against Republic Act 8239 (the Philippine Passport Law) for a person to possess two (2) valid Philippine Passports. Hence, the Philippine Consulate General New York requires that old passports are verified as cancelled before a new passport can be released.

Applicants are instructed to write the following on the photocopied page of their passport, and affix their signature thereafter:



“I understand that my new passport cannot be released until I present my old passport to the Consular Officer for cancellation.”




(Signature of Applicant)













Those who lose their old passports in the interim and are unable to present the passport for cancellation will be asked to re-file their application as Irregular Passports, requiring additional interviews, document verification, affidavits and fees, as determined by the Consular Officer, in accordance with regulations.


The Philippine Consulate General releases documents by Mail on the express request of the applicant and assumes no responsibility for any delay or loss in the mail once the documents have been released. There have been a number of instances of Passports released by Mail that have subsequently been lost by the courier service, both private (FedEx / UPS) and public (USPS). In view of these instances Release of Passports by Mail is DISCOURAGED.

We ask applicants to consider PERSONAL PICK-UP or PICK-UP BY AN AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE (with Letter of Authority Signed by the Applicant) whenever possible.

Should release by mail be the ONLY option available to the applicant, please be advised of the following:

• As explained to each applicant during the application process, the new ePassport will not be released unless the most-recent passport has been cancelled by the Consular Officer.

• Those who elect to have the most-recent passport cancelled on the day of application may submit a pre-paid self-addressed stamped envelope (USPS), preferably with "delivery confirmation" tracking number, with sufficient postage for 0.5 lbs. of paper documents; the envelope will be attached to the application form by the processors. Unless the applicant is able to personally receive mail from the postman, the "signature confirmation" service is discouraged.

• Those who elect NOT to cancel the most-recent passport on the day of application and wish to receive their new passport by mail must send to the Consulate: a) the most-recent passport; b) the "Passport Application Enrollment Certificate" given to each applicant; c) a self-addressed stamped envelope (USPS) with sufficient postage for 0.5 lbs. of paper documents; USPS flat-rate envelopes with Delivery Confirmation tags suggested for local or international postage

NOTE: One pre-paid postage per applicant - Passport booklets arrive in batches, some early, some late. To ensure that all are sent to the correct recipients, separate postage is required.



If the applicant cannot appear personally to pick-up the passport, s/he may authorize a Representative to do so. A Letter of Authority, signed by the applicant, must be presented, accompanied by an original and a photocopy of the Representative’s valid ID. The Letter of Authority will be validated against the applicant’s signature on file. Should the Consular officer have any reason to question the authenticity of the signature, the passport will not be released. Authority to a representative expressed by the applicant over the phone will not be entertained.


In the same way that a driver’s license is a permit to drive that a bearer must always keep valid, it is the responsibility of the passport holder to ensure that the passport remains valid, so that his/her ability to travel is not curtailed.

Since all passports are processed in the Philippines and it takes eight (8) weeks to process a passport applied for abroad, Filipinos abroad must always be mindful of the validity of their passport, as there is no expedited process.

  • If the applicant has immediate travel plans to the Philippines and his/her Passport is already expired, s/he may apply for a Travel Documentwhich allows one-way direct travel to the Philippines, where a new passport can be secured in as little as ten(10) days if processed at our Main Office in Pasay City, or four(4) weeks if submitted at the Regional Consular Offices. Requirements are:
    • Accomplished Application Form (click here to fill out and print the Passport Application form)
    • Proof of Emergency: Airline Ticket/confirmed itinerary of travel showing immediate departure (within 30-days from the date of application); Letter from Employer/Physician, etc.
    • Current Passport
    • 4 passport photos (colored photo against plain background)
    • Fee: $30.00
    • Submitted in the morning - released afternoon of the same day
    • Must be submitted in person so that the Travel Document can be signed by the applicant before the consular officer
    • Direct-flight to the Philippines is advised as some ports (i.e. Japan) may restrict the entry of Travel Document holders


Processing fees are non-refundable and payable only in cash.

  • Passport Fee - $60.00
  • Replacement of Lost/Irregular Passport Fee - $150.00
  • DFA Clearance - $10.00
  • Affidavit - $25.00
  • Passport Amendment (discrepancy) - $20.00
  • Certification- $25.00
  • Travel Document - $30.00
  • Extension of Validity - $20.00


  1. I am a green card holder/immigrant. What do I put as my Citizenship / Nationality?

A green card (Alien Registration Card) attests to the immigration status of the applicant in the US. The citizenship of the applicant remains FILIPINO, unless/until s/he loses citizenship, as provided by law.

  1. My spouse is/parents are deceased. Do I have to put their names in the passport application form?

Yes. Information requested in the passport application form is to verify the facts of birth and civil status of the applicant, as recorded in the Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate. Even if the spouse / parents are deceased, their names should still be placed in the application form, as it will serve as verification of the identity of the applicant.

  1. I am separated/divorced from my spouse. Do I have to put his/her name in the passport application form?

Yes. Information requested in the passport application form is to verify the facts of birth and civil status of the applicant, as recorded in the National Civil Registry. As divorce is not recognized in the Philippines, a marriage that was executed in the Philippines is considered subsistent until or unless it is voided by a Philippine court through annulment or by the death of one party. This also applies to a marriage that was executed abroad, and subsequently reported and recognized by the Philippine Foreign Service. Since the purpose of providing complete information in the Passport Application process is to verify the identity and nationality of the applicant, it is best to disclose all facts / civil events (birth, marriage, death, etc.), even if the current situation of the applicant no longer reflects these (for more details see Change of Name due to Marriage/Annulment).

  1. Can I use my green card to travel internationally?

No, you still need a valid passport to travel internationally, since the green card only shows proof of immigration status. For local travel requirements within the US consult your airline or the US NTSB for the most current information.

  1. My Passport is not yet expired, but I would like to apply for the new Passport. Can I renew it as early as now?

Yes, you can renew your current passport even if it still has several years of validity left.

  1. My Green Passport/Machine Readable Passport is still valid and will expire in a few years. Do I have to apply for the ePassport?

The green passport and the Machine Readable Passport will remain valid until the date of expiration. However, starting April 2010 some ports of entry may require travelers travelling without even the minimum non-machine readable passports to queue separately as their information will have to be encoded manually. Those who wish to avoid this process may wish to apply for a new Philippine ePassport.

  1. My passport has less than six (6) months validity. Can I still use this for international travel?
    • It is strongly recommended that you renew your passport immediately if it has less than six months validity left.
    • While travel to the Philippines on expiring passports is allowed for Philippine Passport holders (as they are considered returning residents) some airlines may require a letter from the Consulate, as assurance. Call 212-764-1330 ext 321 to secure a letter to the airline (free of charge, upon submission of appropriate documents). However, departure from the Philippines on a passport with less than six months validity will NOT be allowed by the Bureau of Immigration. It is therefore suggested that the travel apply for a new passport while in the Philippines.
    • Travel to other destinations, however, may not be possible if the passport has less than six months validity, as some ports of entry may bar the traveler from entering their borders using an expiring passport. The airline will then be fined for allowing the traveler to board their craft. Some countries require as much as 18 months validity on the passport. It is best to consult the appropriate Embassies and Consulates for the most up-to-date information.
  1. I entered the US using a passport with a different name. How do I apply for a passport under my real name?

All Filipino citizens are eligible for a passport. However, using a passport under someone else’s name is an act of fraud punishable by provisions of RA 8239. One must once again establish identity, citizenship and in addition, must explain in detail how the irregular passport was acquired. During the interview the Consular Officer will determine if the participation of the applicant in the act of fraud renders him/her ineligible for a new passport. (click here for requirements for “Lost / Irregular Passport” replacement)

  1. I entered the US using a seaman’s book/shore pass and cannot present a passport. Can I still apply for a passport?

Yes, you can apply for a passport. However, the applicant must establish identity and citizenship for his application to be considered eligible. The applicants will be interviewed and asked to present appropriate documents (click here for requirements for “Lost / Irregular Passport” replacement)

  1. Can a minor apply for a passport on their own? Why do parents need to issue an “Affidavit of Support and Consent to Travel” when applying for a passport for minors below the age of 18?

The parents of a minor child are considered fully responsible for their children, especially if/when traveling abroad. This is also to ensure that both parents are aware that a passport is being requested, which addresses both child-trafficking concerns and any custody issues that may exist.

  1. What is the difference between the “Affidavit of Support and Consent to Travel”, the “Parental Travel Permit”, the “Travel Clearance” and the “Waiver of Exclusion Ground”?
    1. Affidavit of Support and Consent to Travel – a form on the reverse side of the Passport Application form which attests that one or both parents consent to the issuance of a passport for their minor child. (For children in the Philippines while the parents are in the US, please refer to question #12)
    2. A Parental Travel Permit (PTP) – required by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) for Minors who are Filipinos / Philippine passport holders departing the Philippines alone or accompanied by someone other than a parent or legal guardian. A PTP is a written permission executed by any one of the parents who will be left behind allowing the minor to travel abroad. Among the requirements to support a PTP are: duly notarized PTP; birth certificate on security paper (SECPA) of the minor; certified copy of marriage certificate of minor’s parents; and photocopy of passport and visa of companion. Contact the DSWD through for more information.
    3. A Travel Clearance – required for Filipino minors, below 18 years old, travelling outside the Philippines, alone or accompanied by persons other than their parent/s or legal guardian. Can be secured through the DSWD Regional Office where the minor resides. A travel clearance is also issued to children travelling for the purpose of adoption abroad, a minor adopted in the Philippines and an illegitimate child travelling with his or her biological father. Among the requirements for securing a travel clearance are: birth certificate on security paper (SECPA) of the minor; certified copy of marriage certificate of minor’s parents, if appropriate; notarized affidavit of consent from parents/guardian authorizing a particular person to accompany the child in his/her travel abroad; certified copy of any evidence to show financial capability of the person or sponsor to shoulder the travel expenses of the minor; two passport size photos of minors; photocopy of passport of travelling companion. A minimal fee of P300.00 per child is charged for the processing of travel clearance and P300.00 per child for the issuance of PTP.

NOTE: Both PTP and travel clearance are measures to ensure that a child leaving the country will not become a victim of child trafficking, abuse, and exploitation. # # # (DSWD-Social Marketing Service) May 11, 2005

    1.  A Waiver of Exclusion Ground – is a requirement for minor Foreign Passport holders, below 15 years old, travelling to the Philippines unaccompanied by a parent or legal guardian. See Visa section for more information.
  1. I am a parent abroad and I would like to authorize a relative in the Philippines to help my child, who is also in the Philippines, to secure/renew his/her passport. How do I do this?

Yes, you can authorize a relative to apply for / renew the passport of your child by executing an “Affidavit of Support and Consent to Travel for your child and a Special Power of Attorney” appointing someone to act in your stead (click here to download form). The form must be accomplished and signed by either parent before the Consular officer, and an acknowledgement of the signature will be issued (fee of $25.00). This document will serve as a supporting document for the Department of Foreign Affairs (passport processing) and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (to secure a Travel Clearance).

13.       Why does my passport bear the stamp “Not Valid for Travel to Iraq”?

          In 2004, following the kidnap of Filipino truck-driver Angelo dela Cruz, the Philippine Government issued a travel-ban to Iraq, citing dangerous security conditions. The Philippine Overseas Employment Agency supported the ban in an effort to protect the lives of Filipino workers abroad, since a number have skirted the ban by entering Iraq through border countries, and have subsequently been injured or killed. 

As of 1 July 2011, Philippine Passports issued by the DFA and the Foreign Service Posts shall no longer bear the stamp “Not Valid for Travel to Iraq”.  The labor deployment ban remains in effect. 

Holders of Philippine Passports issued prior to this date that bear the limitation are assured that the documents will remain valid until expiration. 


Office Hours

Consular Services are rendered from Monday to Friday, except on U.S. and Philippine non-working holidays. Consular services are also rendered during Consular Outreach activities. For more information on this, go to Consular Outreach page.
For inquiries, please call or email the concerned Consular Section.
Please click here for more information.

Philippine Consulate General New York

The Philippine Consulate General in New York provides services and assistance to Filipino nationals residing in the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

For residents of other states, please go to Embassy of the Philippines, Washington DC link.