Recognition as a Filipino Citizen

This applies to foreigners born abroad whose parent/s is/are former Filipino citizens at the time of the birth of the applicant and was/were eventually naturalized as citizens of another country. Moreover, at the time of application for Dual citizenship, the applicant is already 18 years old or above. This also applies to anyone with Filipino lineage who are not eligible to apply under R.A. 9225 or the "Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003."

Under the Bureau of Immigration’s Law Instruction No. RBR-99002, issued on 15 April 1999, any child born of a Filipino parent may be recognized as a Filipino citizen under existing laws.

The following documents are to be submitted to the Bureau of Immigration in the Philippines:


1.Petition, in the form of a letter-request, made under oath by the Filipino parent or legally appointed guardian. A person who is 18 years old or above must apply in his/her own capacity.

In default of parents or a judicially appointed guardian, the following persons shall exercise substitute parental authority over the child in the order indicated:

a.The surviving grandparent as provided in Article 214 of the Family Code;

b.The oldest brother or sister over 21 years of age, unless unfit or disqualified; and

c.the child’s actual custodian, over 21 years of age, unless unfit or disqualified;

In case the letter-request is made by a person on behalf of any of the parents, the legally appointed guardian, or persons exercising substitute parental authority, he or she must be duly authorized through a power of attorney to file such petition.

2.Authenticated birth certificate of the child;

3.Birth certificate of the Filipino parent;

4.Affidavit of Citizenship executed by the applicant’s Filipino parent attesting to his/her citizenship at the time of the birth of the child;

5.Photocopy of the child’s passport, if he/she has one;

6.Photocopy of the Filipino parent’s passport, if he/she has one;

7.Proof of Filipino citizenship of a parent at the time of birth of the child other than the parent’s passport or the child’s passport.











 For more information, please click here or contact:


 Office of the Commissioner
Bureau of Immigration
Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila
Tel. Nos. (632) 527-3261/527-3277
Fax No. (632) 338-4538


Please note that in order for the recognized child to get a Philippine passport, the child’s birth must be reported to the Consulate or Embassy that has jurisdiction over the place of birth of the child. [click here for jurisdiction].


 If your child was born within this Consulate’s jurisdiction, please comply with the Report of Birth requirements [click here].