ASSISTANCE TO NATIONALS (ATN)
It is the declared policy of the Philippine Government to promote the welfare and protect the rights of all overseas Filipinos.
The Philippine Consulate General in New York shall be responsible in ensuring the protection of the rights and interests of Filipino nationals under its jurisdiction within the parameters allowed by the United States government in the intervention of official proceedings.
The Assistance to Nationals (ATN) Section of the Philippine Consulate General attends to cases involving Filipinos in distress. Actions taken by the ATN Section include, but are not limited to:
- Assistance in facilitating repatriation to the Philippines
- Assistance in human trafficking cases
- Monitoring of cases in court
- Assistance in locating whereabouts of missing Filipino nationals
- Takes note of consular notifications sent by U.S. authorities involving detained or arrested Filipino nationals
- Prison visitation
- Coordination with non-government organizations and government agencies involving laws and policies affecting labor, human trafficking, anti-discrimination, among others.