Frequently Asked Questions


  • Will you accept walk-ins?

    No. Walk-ins will not be entertained. This is in keeping with physical distancing, a protective measure against the spread of COVID-19.

  • How will I book appointment?

    You need to book an appointment online through our website; please click on the following link:

  • Can I ask somebody else to book an appointment on my behalf?

    Yes. However, you must ensure that it is your name and your email and mobile number that is registered so you will receive the confirmation.

    Remember, on the day of the appointment, if your name is not on the list you will be denied entry.

  • What consular services are currently available at the Consulate?

    Beginning 10 August, PCGNY has been accommodating applicants for the following services:

  • How do I book an appointment for Civil Registration/ Legalization/Visa?

    To ensure optimal crowd management and social distancing measures during the COVID-19 pandemic, PCGNY currently requires – 

    Civil Registration applicants to MAIL their application. Instructions are found in the following link:

    Dual Citizenship applicants to go through PRE-VETTING by visiting the following link:

    Visa applicants to MAIL their application. Instructions are found in the following link:

  • What are the hours of operation of the Consulate?

    From 21 September 2020, PCGNY has been operating from 9:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday (except on announced PH and US holidays).

    For a list of these holidays, please visit:

  • How will I determine if my passport renewal is urgent?

    It may be considered urgent if your passport is your only form of identification or if you need it for your work permit. Otherwise, please wait until the situation normalizes before you have your passports renewed.

  • What do I need to bring with me during my appointment day?

    To avoid delays or refusals, please bring your accomplished application form, your passport, and all support documents (both originals and photocopies). Also bring your proof of your appointment, photo ID, face mask, payment and self-addressed stamped USPS Priority Mail envelope/s with tracking number.

    USPS priority mail (short envelope) : $7.95

      USPS priority mail (long envelope) : $8.25

    If your name is not on the list, you will be denied entry. Please ensure that you register your name as it appears on your passport/IDs when you book an appointment.

  • How soon will I get my new passport?

    Due to the situation in the Philippines affecting logistics, there may be delays in the processing and delivery of your passport since all passports are produced in the Philippines. Expect an additional 2-4 weeks delay.

  • Do I need to contact the Consulate to request for an update on the availability of my passport?

    No. You can check our website to track the availability of your passport at:

  • What should I do to have my Special Power of Attorney/Affidavit notarized?

    When you book an appointment, choose the service “Legalization/Notarial”

    You would need to bring the following:

    • Two (2) copies of the unsigned document;
    • Two (2) original Government-issued Identification Documents (IDs), showing full name, photo, and signature of the applicant;
    • Two (2) photocopies of IDs for every document to be legalized; and
    • Processing Fee of US$25.00 per document (not per page)

    For more information on legalization/consularization of documents, kindly visit:

  • What should I do to apply for an NBI clearance?

    When you book an appointment, choose the service “Legalization/Notarial”

    Once your NBI Fingerprint card form has been authenticated by the Philippine Consulate, you would need to submit it to the NBI.

    For more information on how to accomplish an NBI Fingerprint card form, please visit:

  • Who can apply for a Philippine visa?

    Effective 09 August, the following shall be required to possess or secure the appropriate visas in order to be allowed entry into the Philippines:

    1. Foreign spouses, regardless of nationality, of Philippine citizens;
    2. Foreign minor children or foreign children with special needs (regardless of age) of Philippine citizens; and
    3. Foreign parents of minor children who are Philippine citizens or Philippine citizens with special needs regardless of age.

    This requirement includes former Philippine citizens who belong to the above-mentioned categories, and are not dual citizens.

    In addition to the standard requirements for a visa, foreign spouses and parents/children should show proof of marriage or filiation, together with proof of the citizenship of the Philippine spouse or parent/child and proof that the Philippine spouse or parent/child will be travelling with them or is in the Philippines.

    For the list of basic requirements, please visit:

    All visa applications shall be submitted by mail to:

    Consulate General of the Philippines

    Visa Section 556

    Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10036

    For inquiries, please send an email to

  • How about the Balikbayans? Can they avail of the Balikbayan privilege?

    Effective 07 December 2020 and pursuant to Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) Resolution No. 85, dated 26 November 2020, and with reference to Republic Act No. 6768, as amended (Balikbayan Program), the following are exempted from the temporary suspension of visa-free privileges starting 07 December 2020:

    1. Filipino citizens’ foreign spouses and children, regardless of age, who are traveling with them; and
    2. Former Filipino citizens, together with their foreign spouses and children, regardless of age, who are traveling with them.

    The entry of the above-mentioned foreign nationals shall be subject to the following conditions:

    (a) They must be nationals permitted/allowed to enter the country visa-free under Executive Order No. 408[1], series of 1960;

    (b) They must have a pre-booked quarantine facility;

    (c) They must have a pre-booked COVID-19 testing at a laboratory operating at the airport; and

    (d) They are subject to the maximum capacity of inbound passengers at the port of entry and during the date of entry.

    Further, the entry of the above-mentioned foreign nationals shall be subject to the implementing guidelines to be issued by the Bureau of Immigration.

  • Do I need a mobile number and email address to book?

    Yes. Please make sure you have a valid mobile number and email address. Automated confirmatory messages as well as updates will be sent to you through both.

  • Could I pay online?

    No. For in-person transactions, you would need to pay during your appointment through cash or money order. For mailed applications, you would need to pay through money order – no cash should be mailed!

  • Can I book for more than one service?

    No. You may only book your primary service (ex. Passport application). However, if you wish to avail of a secondary service/s (ex. Overseas voter registration), please inform the consular assistant at the window so that you may be duly endorsed to the next service.

  • How early could I book an appointment?

    You may book an appointment as early as thirty (30) days in advance.

  • Will you accept family bookings for passport?

    Yes. However, family booking will only be for a parent accompanying their minor child/ren. Other members of the family who are adults are required to have separate online appointments.

    Please be warned, family appointments with non-minors will be cancelled.

  • Will there be a courtesy lane for senior citizens, persons with disabilities, pregnant women, and others with special circumstances?

    No. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 all clients are required to book an appointment.

  • Could a companion be allowed for applicants?

    Those who need physical assistance such as the very elderly, persons with disabilities, and pregnant women may be allowed one companion each.

  • How early should I be at the Consulate to be admitted inside?

    Applicants may be allowed inside earlier than scheduled but not earlier than five (5) minutes from their appointment schedule. For example, if your appointment is at 10:30am, the earliest you may be allowed entry is at 10:25am. This is dependent, however, on the current number of applicants inside the building.

    Please do not come too early at the Consulate since there is no waiting area outside the building. If you do come early, you can wait at the nearby coffee shops. Please do not congregate outside the door of the Philippine Center.

  • Do I need to wear a mask?

    Yes. If you are not wearing a face mask you will be denied entry.

  • What if I have a fever?

    Temperatures will be checked using a non-contact thermometer. If your temperature is 100.4F or above, you will be asked to return home.

  • What happens if I am late for my appointment?

    You will be given several notifications by text message when your appointment nears so you won’t forget. If you do not come on time, your appointment will be cancelled and you will have to book a new one.

  • What happens if my application/submission lacks certain documents/requirements?

    You will be asked to return at a later date, in which case you may have to book another appointment.

  • What if I have a question about the appointment system that is not addressed in your website?

    You may email your appointment-related question to:


  • Who owns the Philippine passport?

    The passport remains at all times the property of the Philippine Government, the holder being a mere possessor thereof. The fraudulent acquisition, loss or destruction of the Passport is a crime punishable under the law, with penalties stipulated under RA 8239. The Consular Officer is authorized to determine if the applicant can apply for a passport, and what documentary evidence must be presented.

  • Who can issue a Philippine passport?

    Only the Secretary of Foreign Affairs or any of his authorized consular officers may issue a Philippine passport

  • Who can apply for a Philippine passport?

    • Only citizens of the Republic of the Philippines are entitled to a Philippine passport.
    • Former Filipino Nationals who are naturalized citizens of foreign countries are no longer entitled to use or renew their Philippine passports, having lost their Philippine citizenship (Commonwealth Act No. 63 of 1936)
    • Those who have acquired foreign citizenship by naturalization but have reacquired Philippine citizenship upon taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines in accordance with R.A. 9225 the “Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003″ may apply for Philippine passports, if they satisfy the requirements of R.A. 8239 “The Philippine Passport Law”

    In the interest of national security, public safety and public health, a consular officer may refuse to issue a passport, restrict its use, withdraw or cancel a passport.

    In view of the need to determine an applicant’s current citizenship, a consular officer may require an applicant to present a valid document of foreign residency i.e., a US Permanent Resident Card, US Visa, INS notice, etc.

  • Does immigration status in the US matter when I am applying for a passport?

    No matter what your status is here in the US, you can apply for a Philippine Passport, provided that you can show us that:

    1. You are who you say you are – Proof of Identity
    2. You are still a Filipino citizen – Proof of Citizenship

    What the Consulate verifies is the truth of the Oath signed by all passport applicants, which says:
    “I solemnly swear under penalty of law that I am a Filipino; I am the person in the attached photograph; the thumbprints on this form are mine, I have never made false representations in any of my passport applications; the statements made on this Application Form are true and correct; and the attached supporting documents are authentic.”

  • How long does it take to process a Philippine passport?

    All passports are printed by the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila. Regular passport applications received from Philippine Embassies/Consulates will be available from four (4) to six (6) weeks from the date of application. Applicants are advised to plan trips or interviews where they will need valid passports only after receiving the new passport. 

  • Is it mandatory to renew my expired passport even though I have no plans to travel anytime soon?

    No. You may renew your expired passport any time you wish.

    However, we strongly recommend that you should have a valid passport with at least seven to eight (7-8) months validity prior to making any travel plans.

  • What are the new photo requirements for the ePassport?

    No passport photo is required. Your photo will be taken digitally by our Data Encoders during the passport application enrollment step.  Please note of the following tips for posing during photo capturing :

    • Straight frontal shot (no tilting of head)
    • “Medium” smile (no teeth showing)
    • Collared shirt/decent attire
    • Both ears visible/both eyebrows visible (no bangs)
    • Head scarf/veil for religious or health reasons allowed

    Image can be rejected for the following reasons:

    • Distorted image – head is tilted or smile is too wide
    • Women – excessive makeup, large earrings
    • Men – wearing makeup, earrings
    • Colored contact lenses that disguise the natural color of the applicant’s eyes.  Clear contact lenses however, are allowed.
    • Use of headgear other than scarf/veil for religious or health reasons
    • Use of eyeglasses/shades
    • Poor photo quality/poor or uneven lighting

  • How do I change or amend data on my passport?

    The applicant is advised to present documents to justify the need to change/amend data found on his/her passport. The Consular Officer reserves the right to require further proof. Applicant is further advised that implementing changes/amendments may not be carried out immediately, but may require corresponding with the Philippine Statistics Authority.

  • Is it be possible to keep my current passport “uncancelled” while the new one is being processed?

    The Consulate will not cancel a passport as long as it is valid. The applicant is only required to present it to Consulate for cancellation once the new passport arrives. Once cancelled, the old passport will also be returned to the applicant.

  • What is the validity of a Philippine passport?

    In accordance with Department Order No. 010-2017 or the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act No. 10928 (2017), the Philippine passport has a ten-year validity period, for those issued to Filipinos 18 years or older. Filipinos under 18 years will still be issued five-year valid passports.

  • Can additional pages be inserted in the passport if it has ran out of pagess?

    No. The Philippine passport has a standard booklet containing forty-four (44) pages. Should the passport run out of pages, you need to renew your passport.

  • I applied for a passport before but never claimed it. Do I need to declare it?

    Yes. You may request for a Certificate of Unclaimed Passport from DFA-Aseana or the concerned Consular Office or Philippine Embassy/Consulate, and submit this certification together with your application.

  • My passport's validity is less than 6 months. Can I still use it to travel abroad?

    No. Your passport must be at least six-months valid for you to be able to travel abroad.

    However, Filipinos who are currently abroad may travel back to the Philippines even if their passport are less than 6-months valid. 

  • I have valid foreign visas on my old passport. Should I have it transferred to my new one?

    No. Expired and Renewed passports do not affect the validity of the foreign visas. However, you must bring your old passport with valid visas along with your new passport when travelling. When in doubt, consult the Foreign Embassy that issued your visa.

  • I have printed visas with me. Can I staple it on my passport?

    No. Stapling documents, especially on the covers, and putting unnecessary designs or accessories may damage the passport or which might damage the chip and make the ePassport invalid.

  • Upon claiming my passport, I realized that my name was misspelled. What shall I do?

    Before leaving the consular office, make sure that you check the details of your new passport carefully. If the details on your passport are incorrect, such as your name, sex or date of birth, you may reapply for a passport and pay the regular passport fee of $60.00.


  • How long will the process for applying for dual citizenship take?

    If the documentary requirements are found to be in order, an oath taking ceremony will take place on the same day of the appointment schedule.

  • What if there is a discrepancy in my name?

    The Order of Approval granting the application shall state your name as appearing in the birth certificate, followed by an alias or “also known as” (AKA) indicating the name as appearing in your foreign passport.

    If you secured a correction of entry of your birth certificate with the appropriate Local Civil Registrar or the Court, the Order of Approval and the Identification Certificate, if any, shall state your name as reflected in the annotated birth certificate

  • What are the implications on payment of income taxes?

    Under the Philippine Comprehensive Tax Reform Program of 1997, incomes earned overseas by Filipinos from 1998 onwards are no longer taxable by the Philippine government. Hence, all Filipinos abroad, including those who have retained/reacquired their Philippine citizenship, have been exempted by the Philippine Government from paying Philippine income tax on incomes earned abroad.

    Incomes earned in the Philippines, however, will be subject to Philippine income tax.  Prospective applicants are advised to visit and read the contents of the website of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, which contains information about current U.S. government policy on taxes on incomes earned worldwide, or to seek legal advice from a U.S. tax lawyer.

  • What are the rights and privileges that I would enjoy when I retain/re-acquire Philippine citizenship?

    Once you reacquire/retain your Philippine citizenship, you will again enjoy full civil, economic and political rights and be subject to all attendant liabilities and responsibilities under existing laws of the Philippines under existing Philippine laws.

    Among these rights are:

    • The right to travel with a Philippine passport;
    • The right to own real property in the Philippines;
    • The right to engage in business and commerce as a Filipino; and
    • The right to practice one’s profession, provided that a license or permit to engage in such practice is obtained from the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC), or the Supreme Court in the case of lawyers.
    • You may also vote in the Philippine national elections (for President, Vice President, Senators and sectoral representatives) in accordance with the provisions of the Overseas Absentee Voting Act of 2003.
    • Your foreign spouse also automatically becomes eligible for an immigrant visa.
    • You will enjoy all other right and privileges enjoyed by Filipino citizens.

  • Is there a residency requirement to be eligible for dual citizenship?

    Residency in the Philippines is NOT a requirement for those who retain/reacquire Philippine citizenship. Those who intend to vote in local elections, however, must establish residence in the locality where they wish to vote.

  • Can I now reside in the Philippines?

    Having retained/reacquired your Philippine citizenship, you can reside in the Philippines for as long as you want without having to apply for entry visa and paying immigration fees. You can choose to retire or permanently settle in the Philippines.

  • Will my application for dual citizenship under RA 9225 affect my US citizenship?

    The Act does not require one to renounce his or her US citizenship. Also, there is no prohibition against dual citizenship in the US.

    The US Supreme Court, as early as 1952, has stated that dual citizenship is a “status long recognized by law” and that “a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and maybe be subject to the responsibilities of both. The mere fact he asserts the rights of one citizenship does not mean that he renounces the other” (Kawakita v US, 343 US 717). In 1964, the US Supreme Court also ruled that a naturalized US citizen has the right to return to his country of origin and resume his former citizenship while remaining a US citizen, even if he never returns to the US (Schneider v. Rusk, 377 US 163).

  • I still have a valid Philippine passport, which I renewed before I got naturalized as a US citizen. Now that I have retained/reacquired my Philippine citizenship, can I still use this passport?

    No, your old Philippine passport was rendered null and void the moment you were naturalized as a US citizen. You must surrender it to the Consulate for cancellation. You are, however, eligible to apply for a new Philippine passport upon the successful retention/reacquisition of your Philippine citizenship.

  • Will my foreign spouse, who will travel with me to the Philippines, be required to secure additional travel documents from the Philippine Consulate before leaving?

    The answer would depend on the intended period of stay in the Philippines and if the spouse is a visa-required national under the Philippine visa regulation.

    Foreign spouse (as well as children) included in the visa waiver category may avail of the Balikbayan-Program for stays of up to one (1) year. Otherwise, they would need to apply for an appropriate visa.

  • Can my spouse, who is not a former Filipino, live in the Philippines?

    An immigrant visa may be issued to a Filipino citizen’s foreign spouse which entitles him/her to permanently reside in the Philippines. The visa may be obtained by applying at the Philippine Consulate General. The effectivity of the visa, however, is contingent upon the Filipino citizen’s retention of his/her Filipino citizenship.

  • Do adopted children of former Filipinos qualify for dual citizenship?

    Yes. Under the principle of derivative citizenship, unmarried children below eighteen (18) years of age, whether legitimate, illegitimate, or adopted, of former Filipino parents who retained/reacquired their Philippine citizenship under RA 9225, may also be deemed Filipino citizens, if they are included in the parent’s application for retention/reacquisition of Philippine citizenship and the corresponding fees are paid.

  • If my child is already 18 years old or above by that time I applied for dual citizenship, what process do they need to take to be considered dual citizen as well?

    If the adult child was born in the Philippines and at least one parent is still Filipino at the time of child’s birth, he/she may file his/her own application for dual citizenship under RA9225. 

    If the adult child was born in the US and both parents are already naturalized US citizen at the time of child’s birth, the adult child or parent/s can apply for Recognition of Filipino Citizenship at the Bureau of Immigration in the Philippines. (Please see Recognition of Filipino Citizenship)

    If the adult child was born in the US and at least one parent is still Filipino at the time of child’s birth, the adult child or parent/s can apply for Report of Birth of a Filipino Abroad at the Philippine Embassy or Consulate which has jurisdiction over the place of birth. (Please see Report of Birth)

  • As a dual citizen, am I allowed to practice my profession in the Philippines (e.g. doctor)?

    Under the law, those intending to practice their profession in the Philippines shall apply with the proper authority for a license or permit to engage in such practice. One of the requirements of the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) is that the applicant is a dual citizen.

  • What should I wear to the oath taking ceremony?

    The ceremony is a solemn and meaningful event. Please dress in proper attire to respect the dignity of the event (please no jeans, sandals, skimpy dress, etc). Those in improper dress may be refused entry to the premises.

  • What do I need to do if I lost or need a copy of my dual citizenship documents which I have filed with the Philippine Consulate General in New York?

    You may request certified true copies (CTC) of these documents by sending an email to Once the Consulate confirms availability of the applicant’s records, the applicant will be requested to send the payment of US$25.00 per document which shall be in the form of bank draft, cashier’s check or money order payable to the Philippine Consulate General (personal checks and crdit cards are not accepted) AND a pre-paid, self-addressed USPS Priority/Priority Express Return Envelope. Once mailed, the applicant should inform the Consulate of the tracking number of the envelope for easy reference.

    Note that this service cannot be rushed as it often requires a search through our archives. Expect to receive the documents requested at least fifteen (15) working days.

  • How will I use the dual citizenship papers?

    You will need to present your original dual citizenship papers (Oath of Allegiance, Identification Certificate and Approval Order) during the following:

    • When you apply for a Philippine passport
    • If traveling to the Philippines with a US passport and planning on staying for more than one (1) year.

  • VISA

  • Am I required to apply for a Philippine temporary visitor's visa?

    Go to the Visa Page and type the country that issued your passport in the search box to determine if you are required to apply for a Philippine temporary visitor’s visa.

  • Can I apply for a Philippine visa online?

    The online visa application system is currently available for foreign nationals applying for a temporary visitor’s visa. Visit to lodge your application. For other visa types, applicants may wish to inquire by sending email first to

  • Can I extend my authorized period of stay in the Philippines?

    Foreign nationals exceeding their authorized stay in the Philippines should proceed to the Bureau of Immigration ( to apply for an extension.

  • What is the procedure and requirements for visa applications endorsed by government entities, private companies, and international organizations?

    Visit the following pages if your visa application is endorsed by any of the following:

  • What are the requirements for visa-free entry to the Philippines?

    Foreign nationals allowed to enter the Philippines without a visa for a maximum period of stay of thirty (30) days should meet all of the following requirements:

    • The applicant is travelling to the Philippines for business or tourism;
    • Valid tickets for return to port of origin or next port of destination;
    • Passport valid for at least six (6) months beyond the contemplated period of stay; and
    • The applicant is not subject of deportation/blacklist order of the Department and the Bureau of Immigration.

  • I will enter the Philippines to transit to another country. Am I required to apply for a visa?

    If the foreign national will pass through Philippine immigration during transit in the Philippines, a transit visa will be required. Please proceed to the Philippine Foreign Service Post nearest to your place of residence for inquiries on applying for a transit visa. You may check the Philippine Foreign Service Post nearest to your place of residence here.

  • I intend to go to the Philippines to seek gainful employment. Can I convert my tourist visa to a work visa?

    Foreign nationals entering the Philippines for employment may secure a pre-arranged employment visa through the following options:

    • File a petition through a Philippine-based employer in the Bureau of Immigration for the issuance of pre-arranged employment visa, after which the visa will be issued at the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the applicant’s country of origin or place of legal residence; or
    • Apply for a temporary visitor’s visa abroad and convert it into a pre-arranged employment visa at the Bureau of Immigration upon arrival in the Philippines.

    You may check the Philippine Foreign Service Post nearest to your place of residence here.

  • I am a foreign student enrolled at a Philippine university. How can I secure a student visa?

    Foreign students may secure a student visa through the following options:

    • The Philippine-based university shall submit the application for a student visa of the applicant together with the requirement at the Visa Division of the Office of Consular Affairs, Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila, after which the visa shall be issued at the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the applicant’s country of origin or place of legal residence; or
    • Apply for a temporary visitor’s visa abroad and convert it into a student visa at the Bureau of Immigration upon arrival in the Philippines.

    You may check the Philippine Foreign Service Post nearest to your place of residence here.

  • I am a family member (spouse and/or child) of a Filipino national. Am I still required to apply for a Philippine visa?

    Visa-free nationals who are family members (spouse and children holding foreign passports) of a Filipino citizen may enter the Philippines without a visa for a period of one (1) year under the Balikbayan Program, provided that they should be travelling with the Filipino national.

    Visa-required nationals should still apply for a temporary visitor’s visa prior to entering the Philippines.

  • How can I apply for an APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)?

    Qualified business persons may apply for an ABTC by visit this link:

  • Can I use my ABTC to enter the country without a visa?

    Holders of valid ABTCs may enter the Philippines without a visa with streamlined privileges, provided that the purpose of their visit is business.