Under the Implementing Rules and Regulations of Philippine Civil Registration Laws, a supplemental report using the appropriate form maybe filed to supply information inadvertently omitted when the document was registered.

The filing of the supplemental reports and the affidavit of explanation shall be subject to the following restrictions:

  1. The “Medical certificate” in the Report of Death and Report of Fetal Death and all applicable certifications contained in the Report of Marriage should be accomplished correctly and completely before registration. Hence, no supplemental report having reference to the mentioned certificates is acceptable.
  2. The supplemental report shall not be used in any manner to change or to  to circumvent the provision of Article 412 of the Civil Code of the Philippines which prohibits any change or correction of an entry in the civil register without judicial order or through administrative correction under Republic Act No. 9048 as amended
  3. The Civil Registry Section shall accept only one supplemental report for not more than two omitted information in any registered event. In cases where there are more than two omitted information, all papers related thereto shall be forwarded to the Office of the Civil Registrar-General.

Who may file? 

The supplemental report may be filed by the parent/guardian or the party concerned, if of age, who shall execute an affidavit indicating the entry/ies missed in the registration and the reasons why there was a failure in supplying the required entry.

Where to file? 

  • If born in the Philippines, supplemental report shall be filed with the local civil registry office of the city or municipality where the birth is registered.
  • If born abroad, supplemental report shall be filed with the Philippine Consulate where the birth was reported.
  • If the person born abroad is already in the Philippines, supporting documents for supplemental report shall be coursed through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Office of Consular Affairs.

Where are the required documents? 

  1. Three (3) Original Affidavit of Explanation Supplemental Report of Birth/Marriage/Death with the following facts enunciated therein:
    • Name of Document Owner
    • Date of Birth, Marriage or Death;
    • Registry Number
    • Entry/entries omitted during the time of registration
    • Reason for omission of the entry/ies during the event
    • Purpose in supplying the omitted data
  2. Three (3) photocopies of Report of Birth showing omitted data
  3. At least two (2) supporting documents showing the correct entry that was omitted.

Civil Registry FAQ

Currently, e-Census (online service of the National Statistics Office) is not able to accept requests for civil registry documents that have undergone correction and/or changes in entries through legal means allowed by Philippine laws. Documents that fall under this category of court decrees and legal instruments (CDLIs) include, but are not limited to:

    • Supplemental reports;
    • Legitimation;
    • Adoption;
    • Presumptive death;
    • Annulment of Marriage; and
    • Civil Registry of records whose entries have been corrected and/or changed through RA 9048 (Clerical Error Law); and RA 9255 (An Act Allowing Illegitimate Children to Use the Surname of the Father)

For cases under this category, the submission of copies of supporting documents is required. To apply for a copy of your corrected document, you must forward your request directly to the PSA. Submit your intention to apply for a copy of your corrected/annotated birth certificate to:

Please be advised that you will be required to submit additional documents pertinent to your request, when requesting these documents for the first time. For succeeding requests for a copy, indicate in your request that the document you are getting is affected by supplemental report, court decree or legal instruments, or that it underwent changes/corrections provided for under RA 9048 or RA 9255. If you are applying via the e-Census website, please e-mail the NSO directly at:

In order to supply the missing entry in your birth record, you have to file an application for a Supplemental Report at the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO), where your birth was registered.

You must bring supporting documents, e.g., baptismal certificate, school records, etc., as these may be required in filing the application. The LCRO will then submit a copy of the Supplemental Report to NSO, along with the civil registry documents they regularly transmit to the agency.

This procedure also applies for birth records with “Baby Boy” or “Baby Girl” written as the first name for births that occurred until 1992. For the years thereafter, 1993 to the current year, correction must be done through RA 9048 (Clerical Error Law).

For those whose births were recorded by the Philippine Consulate General New York, please click here for the link on Supplemental Report on Civil Registry Documents. 

For schools under the auspices of the Philippine Commission on Higher Education (CHED), corrections on the transcript as far as spelling of the name and the place of birth can be made through the CHED. The list of requirements is as follows:

  1. Letter-Request addressed to: The Regional Director, Commission on Higher Education, Region _____, Address
  2. Certified TRUE Copy of Certificate of Live Birth
  3. Notarized Original Copy and Photocopy of (a)Personal affidavit, and (b) Joint Affidavit of Two (2) Disinterested Persons, i.e. HINDI KAMAG-ANAK (NOTE: Affidavits expire six (6) months after)
  4. Photocopy of Marriage Contract (Married Women ONLY)
  5. Endorsement Letter from College Registrar (Incoming College Freshman ONLY)
  6. Photocopy of Transcript of Records and/or Diploma (if Available)
  7. Photocopy of any VALID ID CARD with Picture (i.e. Passport, PRC License, Office ID, School ID, etc.)
  8. Processing fee P 40.00 (Payment Upon Release) or POSTAL MONEY ORDER of P 40.00 and Self Addressed Stamped Envelope if Processing is to be by POSTAL MAIL.

Processing Period: Approximately seven (7) working days

For further information, contact:
Legal Affairs Service
Phone: 6373570 or 6367637

NOTE: Some universities, such as the University of the Philippines, have their own charter and are not under the auspices of the CHED. In such cases, contact the Registrar’s Office of your university for proper guidance.